Re: [News] More 'Funny Business' at Dell

__/ [ 7 ] on Friday 30 March 2007 12:19 \__

> Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> 7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> This is all a nightmare indicating dell$ is losing money
>>> head over tails and they are just sucking money out of
>>> every customer and contract to keep itself afloat.
>>
>> Interesting you mention this.  I was considering whether the recent
>> moves by Dell to offer Linux machines might not be more of a sign of
>> board in panic than a realistic strategy.  It takes time to a presence
>> in a new market, and I do not know if Dell have enough.  Worse, initial
>> forays into new markets are often not particularly successful, as there
>> is so much new work to learn about, and so many new mistakes to make.
>> Dell could argue that they've been offering linux in China
>
> Its simply not value for money to buy a dell$ machine in china
> because local and taiwan produced machines are immensely
> better value for money.
> For dell$ to be selling in china represents the last drop
> of blood it can drain from china.
>

>> for some
>> time, and could perhaps learn from that, but internal corporate politics
>> usually prevents the best lessons from striking home.
>>
>> I'm in two minds as to whether Dell will be a huge linux retailer in
>> about 5 years, or just a fading memory.
>
> eSys still supplying Linux PCs (if you can get hold of them) for 127 pounds
> at www.ebuyer.com (2.5GHz, 80Gb machines).
> I've been using them for years without a problem.
> That being a profitable sell for eSys and ebuyer for years
> indicates how far the prices have to go down for dell$ inefficiently
> produced PC.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120278

17 reviews, 5 stars. Mine has been running for a year and a half without any
hardware or software issues. Running 24/7...

I paid a little more at the time and got a weaker CPU... also a 40-gig
hard-drive, which is fine as long as you buy a large external hard-drive,
which plugs in via USB and works out of the box (no need for the silly
drivers CD that Windows apparently requires).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you
roy      pts/3                         Fri Mar 30 08:19 - 08:20  (00:00)