Re: [News] American History is Preserved Using Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:56:10 +0100
<3165472.ihWI8DohEP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Linux to help the Library of Congress save American history
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Library of Congress, where thousands of rare public domain
> | documents relating to America's history are stored and slowly
> | decaying, is about to begin an ambitious project to digitize
> | these fragile documents using Linux-based systems and publish
> | the results online in multiple formats.
> `----
>
> http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/26/1157212
>
> Scanning work. Open formats. Free public access. What happened to the "Linux
> can't do OCR" myth?

What app are they using?  Linux *still* can't do OCR (it's a kernel,
after all!), but someone might have coded an application that
works using X protocols and open file picture formats.

(I would hope so.  It's such an obvious target.)

> Google has contributed its excellent OCR libraries to
> the Open Source community and I think it made it into Kooka and other
> software.

"Kooka"?  Ow, my brain.  Still, Gentoo knows about it, so
let's see what it can do. :-)  I don't have a scanner but
I'm hoping it can load existing data.

> Related:
>
> Publish And Perish
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Alexander Rose, the executive director of the futurist Long Now
> | Foundation, worries about the impermanence of digital information.
> | "If you save that computer for 100 years, will the electrical plugs
> | look the same?" he asks. "The Mac or the PC--will they be around?
> | If they are, what about the software? " So far there's no business
> | case for digital preservation--in fact, for software makers like
> | Microsoft, planned obsolescence is the plan.

Why am I getting a Doctor Who (Tom Baker) image in my brain here? :-)

(In "State of Decay", at the very end, if memory serves,
the Doctor helps the inhabitants set up a 1970's-era
"database system".  Since Tom Baker was the Doctor between
1974 and 1980, that's all they had. :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Woman?  What woman?"