[News] American History is Preserved Using Linux

Linux to help the Library of Congress save American history

,----[ Quote ]
| The Library of Congress, where thousands of rare public domain
| documents relating to America's history are stored and slowly
| decaying, is about to begin an ambitious project to digitize
| these fragile documents using Linux-based systems and publish
| the results online in multiple formats.

Scanning work. Open formats. Free public access. What happened to the "Linux
can't do OCR" myth? Google has contributed its excellent OCR libraries to
the Open Source community and I think it made it into Kooka and other
software.

Related:

Publish And Perish

,----[ Quote ]