Re: [News] Dell Will Give GPL-licensed Drivers to Linux Kernel

> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 28 March 2007 23:47 \__
>
>> On Wednesday 28 March 2007 23:24 Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Linux: Driver Support is Key
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx
>>
>> We'll see how it plays out, but if that turns out to be the case, this post
>> of yours might turn out to be the "most news-worthy" one that you have made
>> to date:-)
>
> Really?!?! I actually think that Torvald's acceptance of the GPLv3 (we're yet
> to see how it works out) is rather important. This could bridge the divide
> between the 'pragmatists' and 'purists'.

I think that they're both very important, but I think that in terms of
reuniting the floss world, GPLv3 is the most important debate around
presently.

In terms of the cracks appearing in Microsoft's desktop monopoly, the
announcement above regarding Dell and drivers is clearly important,
but, it could all just be a play to get Microsoft to reduce its licence
charges to Dell, although I suspect that it is probably too late for any
serious OEM to have an MS-only strategy.  To put it another way, those
OEMs with MS-only strategies either need new strategists or their owners
should start cashing in the stocks before the markets realise how weak
they are.