Re: [News] Screenshots Gallery of Ulteo Linux; Review of Dragonfly BSD

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 14:38 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ulteo's Screenshots (installation in six steps)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Here you can see the screenshots for Ulteo, the new kid on the block,
>> | and claims to be the world's easiest linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://linux.go2linux.org/node/46
>>

> Ok, here we go again. Yet another Linux distro and they haven't done a
> bloody thing. Well if they had they would have mentioned it, but all they
> have are pictures of the Gnome desktop. Gnome worked fine before Ulteo
> turned up and will work fine after Ulteo has gone.

No, no. I exchanged a few E-mails with Gael (he contacted me) and it seems
evident he has been misunderstood (alpha came out too fast). The idea here
is that you install the O/S just once and then it updates itself (no manual
upgrades needed). Also, remote assistance is among his points of focus.

> I know there's a sort of thrill in getting a Debian, drawing a few icons of
> your own, and slightly rearanging the menus then letting others see it.
>
> But that doesn't warrent another bleeding distro. What they have done is
> generally called a theme.

If it's no worse than Kubuntu, why discard it? Derivative work is how you can
improve gradually. Bad forks die and innovative forks survive. It's
evolution. Linux meets Darwin. *Smile*

> Go on then, someone from Ulteo tell me what you have done that is not in
> standard Debian. I'm happy to eat humble pie if you have done something
> new, innovative, interesting, exciting. But I bet your left sock you have
> not done anything except a few icons.

Check out the Web site.

> Yes I saw your claim to be easy to install. I haven't had a Linux that
> didn't install easily for many years now. There aren't any difficult
> questions at install time any more. Debian's hardware detection is
> excellent, the installation is extremely easy whther Gnome has Ulteo's
> icons or not.
>
> Tell me then, those steps that you have missed out, have you provided a do
> it all universal response or setting? Or do you just save them for after
> the install so that you have one item that you can attempt to claim the
> others don't have, an install with fewer steps.
>
> Hang on though, it isn't the fewest steps really is it. OpenSuse is, if you
> select one of the basic packet/install types of Server, client or
> workstation, then accept the default packages and Suse's detected devices
> and partitions, then isn't it only four steps? I think I have counted that
> correctly in my head.
>         1. Select to install.
>         2. Language.
>         3. Time zone.
>         4. Devices and packages.
>         5. Install begins.
>
> So Ulteo doesn't win on the one claim that it makes about it's
> capabilities.
>

> Now you lot, I am not against anyone having a go at putting together a
> linux distro. It can be interesting and a good way to learn. Go to the
> Debian web site and they are links to places to tell you haw to do it. Also
> nothing wrong with being so chuffed at the end of it that you want people
> to see it. But that doesn't mean it is worthy of being yet another
> pointless distro.

If you build it and it's good, they will come. I think there's a long road
ahead though. I mean, even Mandriva seems to be struggling financially and
they have a lot of manpower. I think that Canonical stole their thunder,
even when the French parliament picked Ubuntu GNU/Linux.

Well, you'll always have an up-to-date Mandrake in the armour of PCLinuxOS.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows: backward-compatible, even for viruses
Tasks: 121 total,   1 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie