[News] Another Linux Migration Story; Linux Could be Headed Toward Organic 3D UIs

Ubuntu : I'm linux bound

,----[ Quote ]
| I did it! I did it! I got Ubuntu-ed on the fourth try! And one hour
| later. Linux--up up and AWAY! If I want more applications I can get
| them from the web --just like you can with the FireFox extensions-- a
| real emporium of program add ons. Ubuntu/Linux is serious about
| options and ones I don 't like are easily given the flick. Try that
| with Windows!. So I guess I gotta hook this here other computer up
| to the web and see what I can make of it all by relearning the
| digital galaxy by hitchhiking my way through it the Linux way.
| For free... Never pay good money to Bill Gates again!
`----

http://ratbaggy.blogspot.com/2007/03/ubuntu-im-linux-bound.html

Organic interface design for GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| With the growth in 3D technology, we have the opportunity to make all
| of this happen. This is just a collection of rough notes, but at GUADEC
| I hope to flesh some of these ideas out with other people. We need to
| break down the barriers to interaction, but also be brave enough to
| stand up and set a direction, which was the point of the segment.
`----

http://www.jonobacon.org/?p=930

Related:

Tweaking KDE 3.5.5

,----[ Quote ]
| I have probably done more things to personalise my KDE installation,
| but these are the major ones. Rests me to say two specific things about
| KDE and its applications; first, that Kopete truly is a fantastic
| instant messenger application, for the sole reason that its MSN
| support is much more up to date than many of its competitors,
| something of great value when 95% of your contact list uses MSN.
| Secondly, the process of creating mailing list rules in Kmail is
| very easy, something which cannot be said of many other email
| clients.

Sci-Fi: A New Kind of OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Consider the obvious advantages to an operating system that actually
| morphed and adapted to the needs of the users instead of the other way
| around. Not only is there no such OS like this, the very idea goes
| against much of what we are currently seeing in the current OS options in
| the market.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2309

Metisse on GNU/Linux demo

,----[ Quote ]
| A demo of Metisse, an X-based window system designed with two goals in
| mind: make it easy to design and implement innovative window
| management techniques and conform to existing standards and be
| robust and efficient enough to be used on a daily basis, making
| it a suitable platform for the evaluation of the proposed techniques
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxsUKX6xXyE

This one is similar to Spaces in Mac OS X:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT89IOci5FA&NR

Here it is with some UI innovation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8GzKwBdsg