[News] GPLv3: Discussing Patents and Tivo-isation

GPLv3 draft 3 arrives, adds "anti-Tivo-ization"

,----[ Quote ]
| In a sop to TiVo-style vendors, the scope of these requirements has
| also been narrowed: "This draft introduces the concept of a 'User
| Product,' which includes devices that are sold for personal, family,
| or household use. Distributors are only required to provide
| installation information when they convey object code in a User
| Product."
|
| At the same time they release the User Product with the object
| code on it, however, they must provide the source code to the
| world on a public network server. This code can be hosted on
| different servers from the object code, the actual running
| program code, provided that the source is made available
| simultaneously with the object code.

Interview: patent attorney Jack Haken

,----[ Quote ]
| India is moving at a disappointingly slow pace putting its IP system
| into effect. We also see some judges and politicians in Asian
| manufacturing countries who openly discriminate IP enforcement
| to assist their inefficient local industries in competing in
| export markets.
`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/308/

Asterix, the Gall - The Strange History of Linux and Trademarks

,----[ Quote ]
| As early as 15 August, 1994, William R Della Croce Jr from Boston,
| Massachusetts, saw a business opportunity in the nascent rise of
| Linux and the Linux distributions. Red Hat was winning awards and
| plaudits. SuSE was thriving in Europe. Slackware and Yggdrasil
| Linux, which was both the first plug and play Linux and the first
| to come on a CDROM, ruled the roost. Linux Journal was going from
| success to success. There was obviously a growing market for this
| stuff, and Della Croce saw an opportunity, and filed for the US
| rights to the Linux trademark.
`----

http://tuxdeluxe.org/node/107

There's still some company (gold?) in Alaska that apparently grabbed Linus'
trademark.