Re: [News] Dell Comes Under Fire over Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility Issues

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Dell in Vista RAID debacle
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The apparent issue with certain Intel RAID controllers and Microsoft's
> | latest operating system, Vista - which got its long-awaited retail
> | release on 30 January 2007 - has been a hotly debated topic in online
> | forums for several months.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/dell_vista_raid/

MS didn't give hardware vendors enough information in time for them to have
drivers ready. But also MS made no provision for using XP drivers until new
drivers could be written. Very likely it isn't Dell who the users are
waiting for, it is the raid or mobo software people.

Dell are not the only vendors suffering at the hands of MS's incompetance.

So, what should Dell do, should they stop selling PCs with Vista on, should
they only offer XP and Linux machines? I wondered how they stood at the
moment with MS on this so I had a look, I picked a random mid price range
laptop, went to customize and there is only Vista in the OS list.

Have MS stopped them selling machines with XP? I don't know, but MS and
their customers can not expect Dell to stop trying to sell PCs while they
wait for a mess that isn't of their making to be sorted out. It is because
of Vista and MS that the various vendors have not got drivers ready. So, I
would say MS have a duty to sort this out for it's users.

I couldn't blame Dell for this one.