Re: Google Apps - Arizona State University Going There Fast

__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 12:12 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux
>> Combo
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
>> | hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
>> | deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
>> | Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
>> | computers pass their shelf life.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480
>
>    "Bowen, however, said he has not definitely ruled out an FAA-wide
>    upgrade to Windows Vista and related software -- if Microsoft can
>    satisfy his concerns over compatibility with the agency's existing
>    applications and demonstrate why such a move would make financial
>    sense given Google Apps's low price. "We have a trip to Microsoft
>    scheduled for later this month," said Bowen.
>
> I wonder how Microsoft will convince him.  Hookers?  Schwag?
>
>    "Because of Google Apps' sudden entry into the desktop productivity
>    market, what once would have been a routine decision at the FAA to
>    eventually upgrade to Microsoft's latest software is now firmly up in
>    the air. With similar debates doubtless playing out at other
>    government agencies -- and in the private sector -- Microsoft is
>    going to have to work a lot harder than in past years convincing
>    customers to follow its well worn path of new releases and follow-on
>    patches."

The reality is that technical problems are not the only factor here. While
Microsoft tries to save face (e.g. with baseless claims about Vista sales),
the customer knows that their profits decline, their past is filled with
corruption, and rivals riding a wave. Google and Apple are in most people's
mind because they are monetised, unlike enterprise Open Source software or
Free software like Linux. The name of the game changes with shift in revenue
streams (subscription and advertising rather than acquisition and forced
upgrades).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
roy      pts/3                         Thu Mar 29 11:53    gone - no logout