Re: Dell Linux preinstalls coming

__/ [ flyer ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 08:14 \__

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

>> March 28, 2007
>>
>> Dell to Expand Linux Factory Installed Options
>> Since launching Dell IdeaStorm a little more than a month ago, one idea
>> has risen to and stayed at the top: better support for Linux. We have
>> heard you and appreciate the direct feedback. On March 13, we responded
>> by launching a Linux survey asking for your feedback on what you need
>> for a better Linux experience. Thank you to the more than 100,000 people
>> who took the survey. Here are some of the highlights from the survey:
>>
>>      * More than 70% of survey respondents said they would use a Dell
>> system with a Linux operating system for both home and office use.
>>      * Survey respondents indicated they want a selection of notebook
>> and desktop offerings.
>>      * Majority of survey respondents said that existing community-based
>> support forums would meet their technical support needs for a tested and
>> validated Linux operating system on a Dell system.
>>      * Survey respondents indicated that improved hardware support for
>> Linux is as important as the distribution(s) offered.
>>
>> Dell has heard you and we will expand our Linux support beyond our
>> existing servers and Precision workstation line. Our first step in this
>> effort is offering Linux pre-installed on select desktop and notebook
>> systems. We will provide an update in the coming weeks that includes
>> detailed information on which systems we will offer, our testing and
>> certification efforts, and the Linux distribution(s) that will be
>> available. The countdown begins today.
>>

> C'mon Dell, hurry the hell up and DO IT for bit's sake.
>
> Man, unlike Lost Cause Novell, Dell could clean up and do somthing
> worthwhile to make up for supporting the MS pyramid scheme all these
> years. Not that they had alot of OS choice of course.
>
> Time to turn the troops LOOSE Michael. GO FOR IT! Get a running start
> now.

It's too late for them to go back. But let's wait until availability and
pricing are out...

--
                ~~ Best wishes

In an Open world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates? -- ??
Mem:    514480k total,   377604k used,   136876k free,    49528k buffers