Re: [News] Dell to Add Linux Preinstallation Options for Desktops and Laptops

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

> H-P will need to follow suit. We shall see the price and availability
> (hopefully not US only).

Even more important is the power Dell has to influence other manufacturers.
A link off the page cited above, has this to say ...

[Quote]

Dell recognizes the importance of open source, GPL-licensed drivers which
are maintained upstream in kernel.org. They allow users the widest choice
of Linux distributions, effectively taking the specific hardware and
distribution out of the decision-making process and let you focus on
solving your business problems. We will work with our hardware partners to
develop, test, and maintain Free drivers, and continue to make progress
towards that goal for all drivers. Most drivers are in good shape now, but
there's clearly longer-term work to be done.  Work that we're doing now at
the driver level will pave the way for more Linux offerings in the future.
There's no way to please everyone, but I'll continue to share more details
around our strategy as we have new developments. Stay tuned.

[End Quote]

Full Article here ...

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx

Cheers.

--
The "Wow" starts now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc&eurl=

"No sane person wants Vista, so Microsoft is making sure they have no
choice."
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit043.html