Re: [News] Dell to Add Linux Preinstallation Options for Desktops and Laptops

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Dell to Expand Linux Factory Installed Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has heard you and we will expand our Linux support beyond our
| existing servers and Precision workstation line. Our first step in
| this effort is offering Linux pre-installed on select desktop and
| notebook systems. We will provide an update in the coming weeks
| that includes detailed information on which systems we will
| offer, our testing and certification efforts, and the Linux
| distribution(s) that will be available. The countdown begins today.
`----

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/ideastorm/ideasinaction?c=us&l=en&s=gen

H-P will need to follow suit. We shall see the price and availability
(hopefully not US only).

I'm trying to read the fine print...and, happily, I don't see any just yet.

They do use the word "select" and that doesn't bother me, as long as they offer it on a few of their low end models -- not just a bunch of $2000 Linux 'workstations'.

They also use the word "pre-installed" -- not just "certified" like Lenovo did when they ended up punting a year or two ago.

So far so good...I don't know what's happening, but I can't find any thing wrong.