Re: [News] Is Anti-OLPC FUD Being Spread?

> Despite upgrades, security experts fear $100 laptops
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Labeled as Bitfrost, the security architecture offers everything
>| from embedded technology to allow more powerful encryption, to
>| so-called "theft leases" that allow the laptops to be shut down
>| remotely if stolen. To eliminate many of the virus attacks that
>| plague common desktops, the Linux-based operating system of the
>| XO-1 cannot be altered.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070325/tc_infoworld/87154
>
> There have been several articles which were written and/or influenced by
> Microsoft analysts. Needless to say, they spread fear and doubt and they
> have impact in the press. As a result, OLPC folks had to make extra effect
> to address criticism (see below).
>

> Related:
>
> Bitfrost - Bitfrost is the OLPC security platform
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| We have set out to create a system that is both drastically
>| more secure and provides drastically more usable security than
>| any mainstream system currently on the market.
> `----
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

We must not underestimate the time, effort and resources which Microsoft
have available to throw at the foss movement.  They will do anything
they can to kill it.  So far, it's been a joke, it's been embraced and
extended, it's been "un-American!" (always had to laugh at that one),
it's been a cancer, it's been viral, it's been cli-only, it's been old
technology, it's been immature, it's been assembled by amateurs, it's
been both less secure and less stable than windows (another big giggle
there), it's been more expensive than windows, and it's been worthless
because it's free, it's been anti-IPR because it's free, and it's been
stolen IPR because it was really owned by the now-defunct SCO.  It's
been too memory hungry for small devices, its interfaces have been too
hard for anyone to use, it's been too hard to add or remove packages,
it's been too complicated for normal people to use.  It's been
impossible to print from, it's been useless for multi-media work.  There
have been too many security fixes, the number of fixes has been equated
to poor design (another great laugh there), it's been difficult to
install, it's had, over and over, completely unreadable fonts.

I think the paragraph above sums up why I try to avoid trolls here, they
just spout one or other of the above remarks.  If I've missed anything,
please let me know.