[News] Is Anti-OLPC FUD Being Spread?

Despite upgrades, security experts fear $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Labeled as Bitfrost, the security architecture offers everything
| from embedded technology to allow more powerful encryption, to
| so-called "theft leases" that allow the laptops to be shut down
| remotely if stolen. To eliminate many of the virus attacks that
| plague common desktops, the Linux-based operating system of the
| XO-1 cannot be altered.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070325/tc_infoworld/87154

There have been several articles which were written and/or influenced by
Microsoft analysts. Needless to say, they spread fear and doubt and they
have impact in the press. As a result, OLPC folks had to make extra effect
to address criticism (see below).

Related:

Bitfrost - Bitfrost is the OLPC security platform

,----[ Quote ]
| We have set out to create a system that is both drastically
| more secure and provides drastically more usable security than
| any mainstream system currently on the market.
`----

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

OLPC's XO laptop comes with anti-theft kill-switch in select countries

,----[ Quote ]
| OLPC has responded to such concerns by developing an anti-theft
| daemon that the project claims cannot be disabled, even by a user
| with root access.

Bringing tech to every child

,----[ Quote ]
| It will come loaded with 100 books, music files, cartoons,
| games and educational material in a variety of languages. It
| runs on two watts of power and can access the Internet via
| a mesh network.
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/2905929273367028619420701444353059690067

Romania bites the OLPC bait!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, the Prime Minister of Romania (otherwise, an intelligent guy)
| fell for the One Laptop Per Child project.
|
| [...]
|
| In brief, the targeted audience is 1.2 million children, and the
| program is planned to be "operational" (what is this supposed to mean?!)
| on September 15.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2590&from=rss

A Brief Overview -- Open Source Software in Romania

,----[ Quote ]
| Romania is developing its own Linux distributions. One of the biggest
| is Darkstar Linux, based on Slackware. Furthermore, the open source
| community is translating free software projects into Romanian, e.g.
| KDE or GNOME. The Romanian Linux User Group (RLUG) translates and
| improves the Debian documentation.
|
| Like many other European countries, Romania has caught a glimpse of
| what Linux and other open source software can do for business or
| private use. Romanian user hope the government will realise one
| day that instead of wasting money on proprietary products, it can
| not only improve the functionality of institutions but also use
| open source software as a way to direct those funds to other more
| important issues.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/5016/470

Romania: Software piracy made us what we are today

,----[ Quote ]
| Experts have called for stronger action from Romanian officials on
| software piracy, with prosecutors encouraged to stop dismissing
| potential cases. The International Intellectual Property Alliance
| in 2006 said dismissals are acting as a disincentive on police to
| clamp down on criminals, who are mostly end-users and distributors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/romania_microsoft_piracy/

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

Rwanda Commits to Low-Cost Laptop Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Rwanda is the eighth developing country to join the One Laptop
| Per Child initiative aimed at giving away inexpensive
| computers to all young students.

$100 laptop project eyes launch

,----[ Quote ]