Re: [News] Windows Vista Cost is Lowered Amid Poor Sales

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:47:58 -0700, John Bailo wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft cuts Vista price a bit
>
> This is truly hilarious because the entire reason for creating Vista --
> basically XP under a new name -- was to *increase* the revenue per copy
> of Windows!

Hmmm.  I don't think a price hike was the main objective.  One of
Microsoft's problems is that hardware and software don't become obsolete
as fast as they once did.  Millions of people are still using Windows 98,
for which they paid up long ago.  Even worse, most consumer software runs
on Windows 98 as well as it does on XP.

Vista is meant to put a stop to that nonsense.  And, to prevent today's
customers from using their license beyond the time-frame that Microsoft
deems reasonable, they have made the Windows update service mandatory.

Microsoft's strategy is reminiscent of the Schlieffen Plan... diplomacy
and public relations have been pushed aside in favor of expedience.  But
moral disgust is a powerful force.  Already consumers are fleeing to
Ubuntu, like so many Belgian refugees, and a sympathetic world is taking
note.

Charlie