Re: [News] Microsoft No Longer Quite So American

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Tuesday 20 March 2007 21:53 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:30:26 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> "Dear Microsoft": An open letter to Microsoft regarding the outsourcing of
>> jobs.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Don't get it twisted: I don't have a problem with you outsourcing
>> | jobs to people that will work for next-to-nothing. It's just
>> | getting a bit out of hand, don't you think? I mean, there's no
>> | point trying to fool me.
>
> Hey, if outsourcing to Outter Slobovia saves a few bucks, I'm all for it.
> I only have one request of any company doing this: make sure the people on
> the other end not merely speak, but actually understand, the languages
> they're serving customers in.
>
> I can't count the number of times I've had to deal with some service line
> twit sending my call off to the entirely wrong place because they simply
> do not understand the language.
>
> Simple example: just yesterday, I call the provider who gives us the
> primary optical feed at the ISP, because one of their 5505s was acting up.
> I explain the situation to him, that this is the switch that handles all
> our ADSL traffic, and it's not running properly.
>
> Next thing I know I'm talking to a tech.  I explain the situation, he asks
> "What's a 5505?"
>
> They'd put me through to residential one-line-at-a-time ADSL tech support,
> whereas I'm dealing with something like 350 affected users off this box.
>
> Gah.

Little update/afterthought: Intel has just opened a $2.5 billion factory in
China, having recently decided to axe 10,000 jobs. Last year, IBM sacked
13,000 in Europe and shortly thereafter created 14,000 jobs in Europe.

No complaint, but merely a remark and observation. It appears as though
Microsoft bring in the more affordable labour or sends it away to wherever
is more affordable. The managers get better margins this way. And the
investors are happy as well.

So, the subject line stands, but it also generalises.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz     | D-I-S-C-O becomes D-I-E S-C-O
Mem:    514480k total,   479180k used,    35300k free,     6972k buffers