Re: Compaq Says Installing Linux Voids Its Hardware Warranty

"peterwn" <peterwn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Mar 25, 4:00 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warranty
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty
>> | on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running.
>> | When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our
>> | hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty
>> | service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and
>> | reinstall the original OS.
>> `----
>
> Whereupon you get it fixed 'privately' then sue the retailer who sold
> you the system in a small claims court.

Let's see here.  You void the warranty and then get it fixed outside the
warranty and then you sue the retailer because the factory didn't honor the
warranty provided by the manufacturer?  What would you use for a case?  If
there is something that works in New Zealand, I wouldn't want to be a
merchant there.