[News] The World is Heading Towards a Single Free and Open Document Standard

The Case for a Single Document Format: Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| In Part I we'll take a survey of a number of different problem domains,
| some that resulted in a single standard, some that resulted in
| multiple standards.
|
| In Part II we'll try to explain the forces that tend to unify or
| divide standards and hopefully make sense of what we saw in Part I.
|
| In Part III we'll look at the document formats in particular, how
| we got to the present point, and how and why historically there
| has always been but a single document format.
|
| In Part IV, if needed, we'll tie it all together and show why
| there should be, and will be, only a single open digital document format.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/03/case-for-single-document-format-part-i.html

Related:

Is Office Open XML A One-Way Standard? Ask Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Way back in October, Bob Sutor, IBM's open standards guru, wrote
| a piece on his blog where he described the Office Open XML
| standard as a one way standard, because the format is so complex
| and so geared towards compatibility with legacy Office compatibility
| that it could never be implemented as a fully functional file format
| by any competing personal productivity applications (PPAs) like
| WordPerfect and OpenOffice. I agree with a lot of his points but
| didn't feel compelled to write about it since the issue had been
| covered pretty comprehensively in the blogosphere.
`----

http://blogs.adobe.com/shebanation/2006/12/open_xml_one-way.html

No Valentines on the cards for Open XML, OpenDocument

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://open.itworld.com/4934/070214openxmlodf/page_1.html