Re: [News] Compaq Says Installing Linux Voids Its Hardware Warranty

On Saturday 24 March 2007 17:40 amicus_curious wrote:

>  The OEMs rely on the installed software to do diagnostic
> evaluations on the hardware.  The Linux re-install ruined all that and so
> the telephone tech could not run the punch list used to validate a return.
> Anyone grossly modifying a new purchase this way has to assume the risks
> involved.  The Linux advocates do not like to think about this, so they
> hide
> it.  The woman was just a victim of bad advice.

Absolutely.
I can understand that, and I tend to agree.
This is pretty well the point that I was making in the Dell/Linux
discussions.
I was suggesting there that if Dell were to offer "Linux ready/compatable"
machines (bare, but claimed to be capable of running it), or even
pre-loaded with Linux, they should also supply with it one or more
"standard" (= not Dell-modified) LiveCDs.
The call centre then starts with "Is the system running from your LiveCD?"

There is no way (imo) that Dell can back off from the H/W warranty, but it's
not unreasonable for them to express that warranty against a known OS
standard.
Now I come to think about it, they could actually do the same for Windows,
couldn't they - ask you to load a linux liveCD, show you that the H/W
worked, and then say "You have a Windows problem"!