Re: [News] Compaq Says Installing Linux Voids Its Hardware Warranty

__/ [ John Locke ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 18:30 \__

> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:00:58 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warranty
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty
>>| on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running.
>>| When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our
>>| hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty
>>| service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and
>>| reinstall the original OS.
>>`----
>>
>>http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&from=rss
>>
>>The crazy world we live in...
>
> This is probably do to contract agreements with Microsoft. Well, since
> I just loaded Ubuntu on my HP/Compaq laptop I suppose I'm in the
> same boat. Lovely. Just lovely.

So if you spill some coffee on it, this could be the fault of Linux.

Seriously though, what does the keyboard have to do with Linux in the case
above. They needn't even switch on the laptop to fix the issue. In fact, she
should have simply refused to say that the laptop has Linux installed.
Unless she opens it and changes the underlying mechanics of it it's /her/
laptop and it's none of their business which code is run by the hardware,
which is what they sell. There was a discussion a while back about Gates and
the 'naked PC'. They try to suggest that the code (READ: Windows) is an
integral part of the PC. The best revenge would be to turn all XBox360s into
Linux servers.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Ribbon-type shortcuts in Palm handhelds leads to SMS talk. We must we
abbreviate?