Re: [News] More Shuffling of Executives in Microsoft Amid Unexpected Departures

__/ [ John Locke ] on Saturday 24 March 2007 18:13 \__

>>| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
>>| operating system is set to be rewritten as the Company 'scrambles' to fix
>>| internal problems a Microsoft insider has confirmed to SHN... Microsoft
>>| has also admitted that it has major problems in it's Windows division and
>>| has has immediately initiated a total restructure of the division..."
>
> Sort of reminds me of a nuclear reactor core that lots its cooling and
> is about to reach critical mass.

I suspect this is why Microsoft refuses to speak about the future of Windows.
It has a lot of mending to do with Vista, so future work remains beyond the
horizon. They have had some research that's intended to form the basis for
another attempt at an O/S (Singularity) and now they have Novell's SUSE. I
think that, above all, there's a great deal of uncertainty and confusion.
Leadership is missing as well. Allchin left when Vista was released, only to
invite angry open letters and some high-profile Vista bans. He left at the
right time, so he should be proud. He's a nice guy by the way...

'Here's part of what Allchin said about how to deal with the competitive
threat from Novell then:

"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger... If
you're going to kill someone, there isn't much reason to get all
worked up about it and angry. You just pull the trigger. Any
discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need to smile at Novell
while we pull the trigger."'

He has some more to say:

,----[ Quote ]
| "I must tell you everything in my soul tells me that we should do
| what I called plan (b) yesterday. We need a simple fast storage
| system. LH [Longhorn] is a pig and I don't see any solution to this
| problem. If we are to rise to the challenge of Linux and Apple, we
|                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| need to start taking the lessons of 'scenario, simple, fast' to
| heart. Jim"
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/allchins_buy_a_mac_email_exposed.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/y5cuu6

Shot in the foot, but he'll survive, living with guilt just like the early
retirees, according to Cringley.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
Swap:  1036184k total,   549428k used,   486756k free,    37992k cached