Re: Tried Beryl Today

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 22 March 2007 14:59 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Mar 2007 05:11:10 +0000
> <8515519.Bp0WMvIX3h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> __/ [ 486box ] on Tuesday 20 March 2007 21:07 \__

>>> I actually like TWM. It's light, useful, extensively configurable,
>>> etc. Not much to look at, but not horrible. I use it on all machines
>>> with less than 200mhz processors (which is a lot of machines here)
>>> that I need to have X on.
>>
>> twm is set as my login manager at home.
>>

> Huh?  Twm is a *window* manager -- very light footprint, very basic.
>
> For login management, one uses xdm, kdm, or gdm.  (There may be
> others; I'll admit to some curiosity.  Customization of xdm
> is possible.)
>
> For session management, xsm used to be top dog, though nowadays
> it appears to be integrated into the rest of the GUI environment.
>
> (Personally, I prefer metacity/Gnome.)

Oops. I realised this shortly after I had posted. twm used to be my windows
manager briefly, and xdm was the login manager. But KDE (running on just 256
MB of RAM I might add) is my desktop environment, with KWin as the windows
manager. In KDE 3.4 there's an odd bug which kills KWin if you press alt+F4
in full screen mode. I don't know if it's distro-specific though. It may
have been resolved since then... been well over a year.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
roy      pts/3                         Thu Mar 22 23:55 - 23:55  (00:00)