[News] Breaking Common Misconceptions About Free Software

How to Misunderstand Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Myth 1. The software industry can't keep going if programmers don't get
|         paid.
| Myth 2. Innovation is killed in free software.
| Myth 3. Software Should Just Work (who cares about source code?)
| Myth 4. Free software doesn't respect authors' copyrighted and patented
|         software.
| Myth 5. Free software is like communism.
| Myth 6. Free / open source software can't be secure.
| Myth 7. I'm on my own with free software.
`----

http://www.getgnulinux.org/linux/misunderstanding_free_software/

All the above are myths and stereotypes. Some of them stuck because
proprietary software companies conveneintly spread lies.