[News] [Rival] Microsoft Portable Media Centre Failed, Abandoned

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems Microsoft is abandoning the Portable Media Centre, a format
| that was once considered a possible iPod killer.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

This one is extremely popular at the moment:

Joke/Video: Microsoft pranks with oFone, Apple rolls eyes

,----[ Quote ]
| Seeing as the Zune was such a hit, Microsoft decided to repeat the
| success and tackle the iPhone before it even gets out the gate;
| friends, we give you the Microsoft oFone.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/09/microsoft-pranks-with-ofone-apple-rolls-eyes/

Related:

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

The UMPC dies. And no one notices.

,----[ Quote ]
| If Intel has its way, then what once was the mass market UMPC will
| morph into much smaller and less powerful "mobile Internet devices,"
| hort "MID".
|
| [...]
|
| There must have been a slight disconnect between Microsoft's
| marketing strategists and hardware and product designers.
| Neither the first nor the second generation of UMPCs came
| close to the expectations the initial marketing created.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31899/113/

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]