Re: [Linux] Scientific Linux 5.0 Released, Latest Engarde Reviewed

On Mon, 07 May 2007 18:07:25 +0200, Hadron Quark
<hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On May 7, 4:58 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> [Scientific Linux 5.0 Just Released]
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> https://www.scientificlinux.org/
>>>
>>> No official announcement in the Web site yet.
>>
>> I've been out of the loop on this, but a few years ago I heard of
>> plans of the US National Labs for creating their own version of Linux
>> (this was after Red Hat went Enterprise and replaced their desktop
>> Linux with Fedora).  This however is an international collaboration.
>>
>> Scientists like Linux.  It has many advantages for research purposes
>> over proprietary software like Windows.  When scientists do need to
>> use proprietary software, they prefer Macs.
>

>What a load of bullshit.
>
>Scientists use the best application SW with which they can do their
>job. And there is loads of good SW for the PC. When I last popped into a
>University to chat with some Under Grad Electronic Engineers they used
>PC's across the board. PC's running windows SW.

Thats a real gray area. I can't seem to locate any good study showing
what the various scientific institutions are using. You may be right,
whatever gets the job done..that's what they use. Noticed that NASA
uses UNIX and Mac OS X for 3d rendering.