Re: [Linux] Survey Teaches Researches That Linux is Secure

  • Subject: Re: [Linux] Survey Teaches Researches That Linux is Secure
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 18:17:07 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:4N03CgebsqEtjvDrICUN3ryS2H4=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 7 May 2007 08:18:40 -0700, "nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On May 7, 3:26 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Linux hacks rare as hens' teeth, says survey
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>
>>Eight percent??? I've never even *heard* of any Linux user being
>>infected by a virus.
>>Has anyone else?
> Users don't logon to Linux as administrator so it would be difficult
> for a virus to execute or propagate itself.

This is one of the most misused statements ever. Most users only run
single login machines. All their data is logged under their own home
directory. If they are manipulated into running an attached script or
executable then their data and their mailing lists are at risk.

--
FORTUNE'S RULES TO LIVE BY: #5
	Don't wear your spurs while making love in a waterbed.