[News] [Linux] Survey Teaches Researches That Linux is Secure

Linux hacks rare as hens' teeth, says survey

,----[ Quote ]
| Adding more fuel to the Linux versus Windows fire, a US research firm
| this week released a survey that noted only eight percent of Linux
| developers had ever seen a virus infect their systems.
| [...]
| A similar survey by Evans last year found that nearly 60 percent of
| non-Linux developers admitted they'd been victimised by security
| breaches, and 32 percent had been hit three or more times.
| Does that mean Linux is a more secure OS? Nicholas Petreley, Evans Data's
| Linux analyst, certainly thinks so.
| "It's not surprising that Linux systems aren't hacked to the degree that
| Windows-based machines can be exploited," he said in a statement. "The
| reasons for the greater inherent security of the Linux OS are simple, more
| eyes on the code mean that less slips by and the OS is naturally going to
| be better secured."

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

,----[ Quote ]
| As far as "straight-out-of-box" conditions go, both Microsoft's
| Windows and Apple's OS X are ripe with remotely accessible
| vulnerabilities.
| [...]
| The UNIX and Linux variants present a much more robust
| exterior to the outside. Even when the pre-configured server
| binaries are enabled, each system generally maintained its
| integrity against remote attacks.

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

,----[ Quote ]
| True to UNIX.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a D+ while Linux gets an A-.
| "Bummer of a birthmark"
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an F while Linux gets an A.
| User data confidentiality.
| Qualitative score: Windows gets a B- while Linux gets a B+.
| Patch practices
| Qualitative score: Windows gets an A- while Linux gets a B+.

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure

Despite Vulnerabilities, Apple's Mac OS X Weathers The Security Storm

,----[ Quote ]
| I still think the Mac is safer than Windows. It has a reduced
| threat environment.
| [...]
| Marius van Oers, a virus research engineer at McAfee, posted a blog last
| week that showed there are more than 236,000 pieces of malware "in the
| wild." The vast majority are aimed at the Windows environment. Only about
| 700 are meant for the various Unix/Linux distributions, van Oers wrote. How
| many are for the Mac OS X platform? Seven or less, he said, calling
| the threat "pretty much non-existent at the moment."

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the trick that XP misses is that you must compel all ordinary
| users to have restricted, non-admin accounts. You make it impossible
| - or at least really hard - for normal accounts to have super-user
| powers. Ordinary users can see their own files, but not each other's
| or the protected ones of the OS itself, and they can't touch anything
| that might cause problems.
| [...]
| It's never going to happen now - it's too late for Vista, and after
| this, there will probably never be such a big change in Windows again,
| until it's replaced with something new.
| But here's a fun thought. What if Microsoft were held legally
| responsible for all those vulnerable, insecure Windows
| installations out there?

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows is inherently harder to secure than Linux. There I said
| it. The simple truth.
| Many millions of words have been written and said on this topic.
| I have a couple of pictures.

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

,----[ Quote ]
| In its first annual Security Issues Survey for the debut of the Software
| Security Summit conference in La Jolla, California, BZ Research polled
| 6,344 software development managers about the security of different popular
| enterprise operating environments and Linux and open source consistently
| topped Microsoft Windows, according to respondents.

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

The Structural Failures of Windows