Re: Vista too expensive in developing countries

__/ [ John Locke ] on Monday 07 May 2007 09:20 \__

> This, of course, will be a huge oprtunity for Linux to  grab some of
> Microsoft's desktop market:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070506-vista-too-expensive-for-developing-countries-says-analyst.html

Mind the hidden costs as well. No country should let its infrastrcture become
reliant on a foreign company (while/although they have talented programmers
at home).

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Have a look at the following article and see how concerned Japan has become
over its Microsoft spendings.

Oracle, IBM, NEC to market Linux in Japan: Nikkei

,----[ Quote ]
| Major information technology firms, including Oracle Corp., IBM Corp. and
| NEC Corp., will set up a consortium to sell servers and systems running
| the Linux operating system in Japan, a financial daily said on
| Thursday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/02/AR2007050202938.html

Later on came this:

Japanese Government to Embrace Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070503/34429_id.html?.v=1

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"