[News] [Linux/OT] Intel's Linux-friendly/ready Laptop and Antitrust Issues

Intel announces specs, production dates for Classmate PC

,----[ Quote ]
| More news is coming from the Intel Developers Conference: yesterday we
| found that wireless USB was launching for realz, and now Intel is
| supposedly ready to drop its sub-$400 notebook for "emerging markets"
| across the globe.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/28/intel-announces-specs-production-dates-for-classmate-pc/

Intel charges back, while AMD slides

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel also doesn't want to completely squash its rival, Kay says. Intel
| is already facing an antitrust lawsuit brought by AMD, and could face
| more monopoly charges if it grows larger. "It's in Intel's best
| interest to have a viable competitor," Kay says.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/corporatenews/2007-05-03-intel-amd_N.htm

Related:

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

At Davos: citizenship, apostasy and $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Nicholas Negroponte, longtime director of MIT's Media Lab, was toting
| around a working version of his so-called "$100 laptop" (which will
| initially cost about $150). Everyone from Michael Dell to Google's
| Vint Cerf was seen playing with it. The little green-and-white computer
| is so sexy that many pronounced it "cooler than the iPhone."
|
| [...]
|
| The featured speaker at the digital divide session was Intel
| Chairman Craig Barrett, who has been outspokenly critical of
| Negroponte's laptop, in part because it is based on a processor
| chip from arch-rival AMD. Intel at Davos was trying to
| strike back by showing its own green-and-white "Classmate PC,"
| which is considerably more expensive and whose clunkiness prompted
| no iPhone comparisons.
|
| Barrett and Negroponte traded barbs in which each accused the other
| of caring more about marketing than children. Then AMD President
| Andre Richard made a proposal - despite their rivalry on other
| matters, the two chipmakers should cooperate on special software
| for inexpensive educational computers.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/01/technology/fastforward_davos.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Intel Seen Using China Forum to Detail Plans on Hand-Helds

,----[ Quote ]
| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel chief sings iPhone's praises

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone is forcing a new wave of mobile device innovation
| and validates the superiority of Unix-like systems on mobile devices
| over Windows, claimed Intel chief executive Paul Otellini.
`----

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?file=/2007/3/6/20070306014323&sec=International

Intel's 'Classmate' Mobile PC Ships to South America

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel has said that Intel-powered classmate PCs are shipping in
| volume to emerging markets. These affordable yet fully functional
| PC based on the Intel Celeron M processor is the first
| education-oriented mobile computer to ship in volume to Brazil and
| Mexico.  The mini laptops are designed to run Mandriva Linux,
| Discovery 2007 edition.
|
| [...]
|
| At an event in Austin, Texas last year, Intel's Otellini gave the first
| public demonstration of the low-cost notebook and announced a plan with the
| Mexican government to provide PCs to 300,000 teachers.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/intels-classmate-mobile-pc-ships-south-america
http://tinyurl.com/yrcyp2

OLPC project clarifies: no plans for Windows support

| According to Walter Bender, president of Software and Content at OLPC,
| there is no agreement in place between OLPC and Microsoft to offer XO
| laptops with any version of Windows. Bender also indicated that
| Microsoft has not contacted OLPC regarding its $3 software bundling
| program, nor have any governments requested that the XO be outfitted
| with Windows. In short, there is no existing collaboration between
| Microsoft and OLPC aimed at outfitting the XO laptop with Windows.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-olpc-project-clarifies-no-plans-for-windows-support.html

One Laptop Per Child clarity

,----[ Qote ]
| The bulk of the confusion and conspiracy theorising which accompanied
| the recent announcement seems to centre on this point.
|
| The specs were not boosted to accommodate windows...
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1481

OLPC Linux laptop could succeed in U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptop features a string pulley to charge its battery, a keyboard
| that switches between languages, a digital video camera, wireless
| connectivity, and an open-source Linux operating system tailored for
| remote regions.

OLPC: Free Software Still Rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Jepsen tells us, politely, to calm down.  The plan is still for the
| XO to ship with OLPC's custom Linux-based Sugar operating system,
| and she hasn't seen demand for anything else on the XO. "The issuehasn't
| presented itself. Most people love Sugar."
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/04/olpc_free_softw.html

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

AMD continues Intel propaganda war

| NEC, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Hitachi and Sony all, AMD alleged, engaged in
| deals with Intel to use its chips in what's claimed is a virtual monopoly.

Intel releases critical Core 2 Duo microcode update - Silently

,----[ Quote ]
| Around April 10th, 2007, Intel released a microcode update (BIOS
| flash to the rest of us) so resolve several major issues with how
| Intel Core 2 series processors operate.
`----

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33889730.

AMD writes to court complaining about Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Chip firm AMD sent a letter to special master Vince Poppiti pointing
| out three dozen reporters cover its antitrust case against Intel and
| saying it's been careful whereas Chipzilla has been spinning like a top.

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Intel Has Plan to Restore Lost Documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel Corp. on Tuesday said it came up with a plan to restore
| documents destroyed as the company braced for massive antitrust
| litigation, saying it "regrets the lapse in its retention practices."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070424/intel_amd_suit.html?.v=1

Intel's market share rises on AMD's problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel gained back some chip market share on the heels of
| Advanced Micro Devices' abysmal first quarter.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-6178921.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

A Forensic Accountant's Winners and Losers from Pending Litigation

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel Corp. failed to preserve key documents and now faces pressure from
| Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070325/30615_id.html?.v=2

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

James Allchin

'---[ Quote ]
| In May 2004, Judge J. Frederick Motz ordered Microsoft to
| investigate Burst.com's claim that, in 2000, Allchin ordered
| Microsoft employees to destroy email after 30 days and not to
| archive their email, suggesting that this deletion policy
| might be an effort to eliminate material that would later be
| damaging in court. This case was settled out of court in March
| 2005, with Microsoft agreeing to pay Burst.com $60 million
| for nonexclusive rights to Burst.com's media player software.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Allchin

So That's How Dell Did It?

,----[ Quote ]
| One billion dollars is one heck of a bribe. But if a class-action
| lawsuit filed by the firm of legendary shareholder plaintiff's
| lawyer Bill Lerach is accurate, that's what Intel
| routinely paid Dell to keep away from the chips
| of Advanced Micro Devices.
|
| The 251-page complaint alleges that Dell misrepresented the
| state of its business by, among other things, failing to
| properly account for and disclose kickbacks from Intel.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2007/02/16/so-thats-how-dell-did-it.aspx?source=eptyholnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y
http://tinyurl.com/ys5p2b

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

EU antitrust experts seek charges vs Intel-source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070117:MTFH01539_2007-01-17_10-23-02_BRU005303&type=comktNews&rpc=44