[News] [Rival] Companies Quietly Force People to Leave Windows XP

HP screws Presario buyers

,----[ Quote ]
| What is the problem? If you buy a new MeII based PC, and you want
| to install your copy of XP so things actually work, you can't, HP
| doesn't provide drivers. Look at the Compaq branded Presario
| SR2163WM, a thoroughly unremarkable Pentium 4 on an ATI 1100
| machine, crapware infested.

This isn't the first such story that I come across.

If you thought Nvidia Me II drivers really worked....

,----[ Quote ]
| On a related note, the 7-series XP drivers have now celebrated the
| six month milestone without an update. I guess those past customers
| no longer matter.

This is good news because many people reject Vista and they will choose
Linux, not Windows XP, which is no longer a possibility.

Related:

Don't downgrade to Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is using the catchphrase "The 'Wow' starts now" to market
| Vista, their new operating system. There is, however, nothing
| awe-inspiring about this software.
`----

http://media.www.thegeorgetownindependent.com/media/storage/paper136/news/2007/02/28/Commentary/Dont-Downgrade.To.Vista-2747338.shtml
http://tinyurl.com/2mg7wp

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Windows XP to be phased out by year's end despite customer demand

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://apcmag.com/5835/vendors_in_no_rush_to_ditch_xp_for_vista