Re: USA Today Invites Joe Averge to Adopt GUN/Linux

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 05 May 2007 09:17 \__

>> __/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 04 May 2007 23:24 \__
>>
>>> Dear Mark,
>>>
>>> Of course you're right, Mom and Pop never set up Windows, either, it
>>> comes pre-installed.  I just hope that when Dell preinstalls Ubuntu,
>>> they include dialup software on the desktop, ready to go.  And the
>>> "help" books (Ubuntu Bible is the only one I've looked at) should pay
>>> attention to the dialup segment of the market, which I suspect is
>>> large.   As far as older systems are concerned, the installation
>>> hurdle is just an obstacle that Linux will have to deal with,
>>> something us "linux zealots" (I think I'll have a t-shirt printed up,
>>> I'll be proud to wear it) can help out with our neighbors and
>>> friends.
>>>
>>> I gotta say that installing the dialup was easy if you know how, and I
>>> like the way it works (both are much better than in earlier Linux
>>> distributions I have used).   And while I'm on the subject, I did a
>>> lot of software updates with dialup, and I like the way you can shut
>>> it down and resume later, and it just picks up where it left off.  The
>>> initial update took 10 hours of download (two overnights).
>>>
>>> Regards, N.
>>
>> I was going to weigh in before just to say that my parents would have
>> never figured out how to set up a dial-up connection. That's where the
>> 'computer expert' (READ: someone who saw somebody else clicking some
>> buttons) comes into play. My parents would barely know how to install
>> software, let alone where to find it. It's all much easier in Ubuntu
>> Linux.
>>

> The dialup market is still important, though.  My parents-in-law are
> about to take delivery of a laptop with Ubuntu on which my No1 son is
> currently installing for them.  He has already mentioned that it will
> need to be set up to dial-up Tiscali, who is their ISP, so I also have
> first-hand knowledge of the continued need for it.  Also, my own parents
> still use dial-up rather than broadband.
>
> I still think my idea about a 'ppd file' equivalent for ppp dial-up is a
> good one, though!  Get all the world's ISPs to contribute their details,
> and it could be downloaded as part of the install.
>
> I used Debian on dial-up for years, never had any problems with it -
> package downloads could take some time, but as they go on in the
> background, it's not a huge issue.

In case it makes you feel any better:

Windows Vista "causes problems through industry" says Tiscali

,----[ Quote ]
| [Tiscali:] The introduction of Windows Vista has caused some problems
| throughout the industry. These are due due to incompatibility issues with
| other software. If you are upgrading to Vista there are scenarios
| where you may experience problems, such as being unable to connect to the
| Internet.

                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: A dragonfly only lives for one day
Cpu(s):  23.0% user,   2.7% system,   0.8% nice,  73.5% idle