Re: [News] [Linux] $100 Laptop Runs Linux, Windows Rumours Were Just Disinformation

__/ [ John Locke ] on Friday 04 May 2007 20:20 \__

> On Fri, 4 May 2007 17:59:45 +0100, Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>> __/ [ John Locke ] on Friday 04 May 2007 09:26 \__

>>> Their goal/target was 1.2 billion, but it would take years. Momentum
>>> plays a huge role because of cattle effect and declining production costs
>>> (another inertia factor).
>>>

>>I wonder if we might find several vendors offering XO compatible machines
>>- after all, if the spec is open, then there is no reason not to.
>>There could be a massive opportunity here for someone to build a big
>>fab dedicated to XO production.  I can imagine these being churned out
>>in India and China in their millions.  Don't neglect Russia, Eastern
>>Europe and the edges of the old Russian empire, either - there are a
>>lot of populous but not well-off countries there who would also benefit
>>greatly from such machines.
>
> Interesting thought. That's a pretty sizeable market. But let's not
> give Microsoft any good ideas. They might actually try one.

They thrive in the high cost of software though. Some time in the past Gates
predicted (oh! Not again!!) that software would exceed the cost of hardware.
If he thinks about Microsoft software, he may be right, but Free software is
not just better, but it also breaks this theory to pieces.

Don't forget that Microsoft has/had intentions to produce chips. It was in
the NYT at the end of last year. A company that know no bounds...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "The only source is Open Source"