Re: [News] [SOT] The Open Web Will Replace Traditional Media/Entertainment Industry

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 04 May 2007 20:04 \__

>> Online TV viewing 'on the rise'
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Almost half of European broadband users are using their computers to
>>| watch television online, a survey claims.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6617013.stm
>>
>> Internet TV may pose threat to Cable Companies by Decade's End.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The Cable Version of "Wireless Conversion" is going to happen. We just
>>| need a name for it.
>> `----
>>
>> http://pulverblog.pulver.com/archives/006905.html
>
> Until 3-mode networking is grasped, this is not going to work.  Consider
> how much bandwidth you need to broadcast a football match by satellite,
> and then how much to do it by wired network, even *with* 3-mode
> networking.
>
> I can see some types of programming being web-based, as they're a little
> off-beat, but mainstream material will have to go radio, as this is the
> singular area where radio excels over wired connections - it uses
> /exactly/ the same amount of spectrum to broadcast to a million as it
> does to one person.  It scales.  The cost doesn't rise for the extra
> people.
>
> I find it hard to understand why so many people seem to find this so
> hard to grasp...

Can network capacity and implementation be extended (in the long term) to
accommodate the need? Our network ground to a halt before we started
disconnecting people who watched TV over the Internet. With capacity comes
greed to utilise it. Limits are indeed needed.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Within reason, consider Free software. The best things in life are also free.
Mem:    514480k total,   479976k used,    34504k free,     4132k buffers