Re: [News] [Linux-OSS] Britain's Conservative Party Sidles with FLOSS

> Tories plan open door for open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Mark Thompson, a Cambridge University IT lecturer and businessman
>| who is drawing up Osborne's request to make Britain the "open source
>| leader of Europe", said that procurement - including the notoriously
>| secretive gateway process - might be opened up so that it was easier
>| for smaller firms to pay homage to the public purse.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/04/tory_opensource/

And about time too.  We really need to look at Ashley Highfield and his
Microsoft Proprietary offerings paid for from *my* licence-fee money;
the BBC should also have a proper, open, procurement process which
encourages open, integrated solutions and actively discourages closed,
proprietary ones.

Incidentally, I've realised why the BBC's system is so wrong and so broken
- they have solved the *wrong problem*.  Their problem should be about
deciding /who/ watches what, not when they watch it.  What they need is
to do live streaming with a proper login system.  If banks can manage
to set up 3-token identification, then I'm quite sure that, armed with
linux and/or unix, the BBC can manage to do the same thing.

You identify yourself, perhaps even using your licence information,
address, and so on?  You then get to log-in and stream using a standard
but secure protocol eg., ssh, ssl or similar, and stream what you like
to your PC.

> Related:
>
> Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
>| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
>| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
>| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
> `----
>
> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
> http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

And they're greener too - is there nothing our penguin cannot conquer?