Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Patents Sudo

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Did Microsoft just patent sudo?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1985, huh? And when did this Microsoft patent happen? It was filed in
> | 2000. Well gee, that doesn't make sense. How'd they get the patent?
> | It certainly falls under the category of "obvious" if there's prior
> | art such as sudo.
> |
> | What makes this whole thing funny, though, is something I saw a couple
> | days ago. Head over to Builder-AU and listen to Peter Watson from
> | Microsoft. He says,
> |
> |   "User Account Control is a great idea and strategically
> |   a direction that sort of all operating systems and all technology
> |   should be heading down"

Wow, what a jolly good idea. I looked it up to see how it works. Apparently
you have administrator log in and you have a user log in. The administrator
can do things like administering and users can't. Dam, why didn't we think
of that, the guys on sourceforge will be miffed at missing that one.

> | In the end, this seems like a patent that Microsoft will hold up and
> | say "we have a patent and Linux is violating it!" They won't ever
> | sue on it though (just leave the threat hanging to scare away
> | potential users), because then they could have the patent revoked.
> | It's better for them to just wave it around.
> `----

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/05/did-microsoft-just-patent-sudo.html

I would be interested in hiring the sales person that was sent to the Patent
office to convince them that this was Microsoft's idea, because I suspect
that he could sell absolutely anything to anyone.

If he works in my area I think I might have met him when I bought my car, my
1996 Peugeot, does *not* go at 200 miles an hour and it is *not* invisible
to speed cameras and traffic cops, darn it I felt such a fool when I asked
the policeman how he'd managed to spot me when I'm invisible.