Re: Oh my god what a piece of shit!

  • Subject: Re: Oh my god what a piece of shit!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 01:10:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 03 May 2007 00:25 \__

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/capable.mspx

> (The first mistake was assuming Vista would be useful in
> any config. :-) )
>
>> First things first:  get rid
>> of norton internet security;  with that installed, the system was totally
>> unuseable.  Understandable as NIS needs 512M on an XP system.
>
> That certainly won't help. :-)
>

>> With NIS removed and the taskbar only having AVG antivirus, and minor
>> doodads like the touchpoint device, the system is still nearly unuseable.
>> Hit control/alt/delete and it takes nearly a full minute (I shit you not)
>> make the task manager available.  Trying to get to display settings on the
>> desktop can take 20-40 seconds.  Nothing responds quickly. Meanwhile, the
>> task manager never came up and I have the iconized version of it sitting
>> in the task bar totally unresponsive.
>>
>> First impressions:  vista in 512M of ram is very much like XP in 32M of
>> ram. The dual core with 4ghz of processor is very much like XP on a cyrix
>> 300.
>>
>> If this was my personal laptop, I'd next try it with two gig of ram and
>> then get that steaming pile of garbage removed.
>>
>> Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves.  This makes windows ME look
>> good.
>
> Your criticism is relatively mild compared to Kadaitcha's: ;-)
>
> http://kadaitcha.cx/vista/dogsbreakfast/index.html
>
> Say what one will about K's postings, here he's performing
> a public service, by going into detail (and it had to be
> painful) as to various aspects of the OS/environment.
>
> Unclear as to how many of these have been fixed by now.

According to a Microsoft exec, Vista is "quality out the gate", so /what/
fixes? To be honest, I have not used Vista, but I have seen videos and
screenshots. Many bugs are being highlighted and some of them are serious.
You would not want to let your bread and butter (data) have this O/S
responsible, esp. having read the EULA. According to some reviews, people
even lose data. What on earth...?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
  1:05am  up 4 days  9:20,  5 users,  load average: 2.44, 1.65, 1.35