Re: [News] Toshiba Considers Preinstalling GNU/Linux on Notebooks

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Wednesday 02 May 2007 00:56 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> I suspect that H-P is about to join the club as well. It's just a matter
>> of time.
>
> When did you first decide to "go Linux" ?

Are you asking *me*?

> Seriously, I hope HP chooses Suse and Dell/Ubuntu;HP/Suse go head to head
> and squeeze Microsoft out of the market.
>
> Today I saw yet another find example of Microsoft Craftmanship at work:
> Report Server.    The charts are presented as *.gif files -- which was a
> great idea like in 1998 so that they're ok for browsers...but I myself made
> a great little charting webapp with some mods and custom compile to the
> dojo code that uses VML  -- so completely sizeable.   With Report Services,
> the funny thing is when you resize the report with the drop down, it gets
> all aliased and the fonts and graphics look like crap...this is from a
> multi-hundred dollar server that can't compete with something I rolled up
> from an AJAX library for free!

Apparently, Dell already offers SUSE on some desktops (I have just been told
that). Let's not mind  if H-P picks SUSE, as long as no 'innovation tax'
gets credence.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/steve/2006/11-02NovellInterop.mspx

Brad Smith (Microsoft) during the press conference announcing the deal:

    "But, as you'll see in the press release it makes clear that on the
patent side, we dealt with both of these sides of the equation. We dealt
with the need for an up-front balancing payment, a balancing payment that
runs from Microsoft to Novell, reflecting among other things the large
relevant volume of the products that we have shipped. And you?ll see, as
well, an economic commitment from Novell to Microsoft that involves a
running royalty, a percentage of revenue on open source software shipped
under the agreement."

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
Swap:  1036184k total,   483052k used,   553132k free,    25860k cached