Re: Credit where it's due. Thank you Microsoft.

__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:01 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:09 \__
>>

>>> News about Linux is good, news about Microsoft, good or bad, has
>>> little place here.
>>>
>>> Just my opinion.
>>
>> If Microsoft stabs Linux in the back in one way or another, directly
>> or indirectly, does that count as Linux news?
>>
> Possibly.  I'll get back to you on a case by case basis :)
>
> The problem with that line of thinking is that everything Microsoft does
> can be seen to effect Linux in one way or another.
>
> Take an example, the Microsoft/Novell deal was Linux news, the Vista
> sales figures are not.
>
> I know none of that is much help to you, but there you go.
>
> One final thought for you to ponder, this is comp.os.linux.advocacy not
> comp.os.linux.news.  While Microsoft stabbing Linux in the back is
> probably linux news, posting about it is unlikely to be linux advocacy.

Good points. I'll bear them in mind. I'm still undecided on this... you see,
the way I perceive this, Microsoft has many strategies planned behind closed
doors. When they are implemented, we need to 'backward-engineer' these
strategies and understand what trick/s Microsoft has up its sleeve. We need
to defend ourselves from things like Silverlight, for instance (which
Microsoft would say is 'cross platform' while it's in fact Mac/Win-only). I
pointed this out and I think it led to a Slashdot item. Awareness of an
unethical rival's acts is worthwhile. Microsoft watches the rivals like a
hawk and its resources permit the company to eliminate them. Google was wise
to call their mates in the Federal Givernment and the EU to send Microsoft a
signal... don't put links to your online services in the O/S... well,
Microsoft did this anyway, but that's a different story. They must have
learned from Netscape, among other victims such as Real Networks... wait
until the battle with VMWare heats up a bit...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S