Re: [News] Dell Prepares Documentation for People Wishing to Transform Windows PCs GNU/Linux

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 12:14 \__

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=2F0A15EB21C7E5DDE040A68F5B285AAE&cs=

> They seem to be giving advice for people with existing Dells (typically
> Windows-powered) so that older customers can easily upgrade to Linux. Dell
> gives this type of transition an endoresement. Microsoft.com, on the other
> hand, only gives detailed instructions on 'how to remove Linux' in their
> KB.
>

> Related:
>
> Dell casts doubts on Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
> | some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
> | Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
> | choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
> | Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
> | larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection
> | of an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
> `----
>
> http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Canonical has just confirmed this. It's official, but the terms of the
agreement with Canonical remain undisclosed.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)