Re: [News] [Linux] Linux is Becoming Popular at the Police

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
> alt <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> There's that ... and the fact that criminal investigations are one of
>>> many critical applications where people cannot risk nonsense like BSODs.
>>>
>>> I can just imagine the reaction of some Copper confronted by a WGA
>>> notification that "This copy of Windows is not genuine" after doing a
>>> Windows "update".
>>>
>> More importantly, criminal investigations are a matter of secrecy. They
>> cannot risk their machines being infected by a virus that sends this
>> private data out to someone else for who knows what purpose.
>
> On top of that, we pay for the police forces from our own taxes, so
> there is no excuse for wasting money on proprietary software when there
> are much less expensive equivalents which can be selected instead.

Seems to be a hot topic in the UK right now; regarding the prudence and
ethics of using taxpayes' money to subsidise commercial enterprises,
especially those enterprises that hold an illegal monopoly. As you say,
where there *are* alternatives, the government should have a moral and
financial obligation to use them.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 14:41:42 up 32 days, 12:13,  0 users,  load average: 0.33, 0.42, 0.34