Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Says It Won't Sue, Wants More Novell-like Deals

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Guy Fawkes
<spare_the_rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 15 May 2007 10:43:42 +0200
<4649666d$0$16352$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schreef in bericht
>> Microsoft Won't Sue Linux Users, Company Exec Says
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Instead, Microsoft said it wants to create more arrangements that
>> | mirror the company's deal with Linux distributor Novell.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831
>>

> Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to have
> patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their minds or
> very desperate.

It's standard issue FUD.  Windows 3.1 is probably the
first instance thereof, when a beta suggested non-MS-DOS
DOS versions might not be 100% compatible.

> Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which patents
> no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to circumvent
> the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim, which most
> likely will not be the case.

Until we see the actual patents, it's kinda hard to tell.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }