Re: How come it is FUD if MS says it, but not if RMS says it?

  • Subject: Re: How come it is FUD if MS says it, but not if RMS says it?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 03:05:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 15 May 2007 01:33 \__

> The RMS quote is put into context by the Vaughan-Nichols article:
>
> <Quote>
> If we look closer at Microsoft claims, we see that we don't need a
> court to dismiss them. Take a hard look, for example, at  Stallman's
> comment. He was referring to that same 2004 study I talked about at
> the start. The same study, where the author, Dan Ravicher, an attorney
> and executive director of  PUBPAT (the Public Patent Foundation, told
> me at the time, "Microsoft is up to its usual FUD [fear, uncertainty
> and doubt]."
>
> Ravicher's point: Under today's cockamamie patent law, "the number we
> found, to anyone familiar with this issue, is so average as to be
> boring; almost any piece of software potentially infringes at least
> that many patents." He continued, "The point of the study was actually
> to eliminate the FUD about Linux's alleged legal problems by attaching
> a quantifiable measure versus the speculation."
> </Quote>
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2129663,00.asp
>
>>It is almost impossible that the number is non-zero, considering some of
>>the broad patents Microsoft has.
>
> This is probably true.  Micorsoft has so many patents that it is
> impossible to write a computer program nowadays without infringing on
> some of them.  Didn't they patent "Hello world"?  Or was it the smiley
> face?  And they are now revealing their intention that no one shall
> write any computer program that they do not control.   If they
> succeed, it will be bad for technology, bad for consumers, and bad for
> the US.

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20070403114157109

"Richard Stallman: Well, every large program infringes lots of patents.
Microsoft has lots of patents. Most large programs, I would expect, infringe
some Microsoft patents. This just goes to show why software patents
shouldn't exist."

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
  3:05am  up 16 days 11:27,  5 users,  load average: 0.74, 1.26, 1.30