Re: Comcast gives Microsoft's TV the BOOT!!!!

__/ [ Jerry McBride ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 00:09 \__

> They are finally dumping the crappy microsoft junk in favor of a REAL
> slution. Great move Comcast, why did it take so long????
>
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/315614_msftcomcast15.html

For more information, here are some links I posted earlier. H-P have recently
given Windows MCE the boot, IIRC (they later claimed to have replaced it
with something).

Microsoft blamed for AT&T TV hiccups

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a spotty history on the gogglebox. In 1997 it
| spent about $425m to purchase WebTV Networks but failed to
| make the much-hyped phenomenon a success.

Slot machine suffers blue screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
| However, it appears that this particular design is not quite ready
| for the prime time as, when we stopped by, the game had hung
| completely with a classic blue screen of death. Now that's going
| to seriously annoy you if you've just won the jackpot! We came back
| an hour later, and the game was still in the same condition.

Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code

,----[ Quote ]
| Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
| them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software and
| has chosen instead to write its own.

FiOS TV and MSFT: When End-to-End Becomes Best of Breed

,----[ Quote ]
| Quoting: "With the project in danger of running behind schedule, Verizon
| sent its own employees to oversee the work between Microsoft and Motorola.
| Engineers from all three companies had several meetings a day to nudge
| the project along. Eventually, Verizon took over the development of the
| program guide altogether from Microsoft, and ended up writing a new
| version of the software that was less memory-intensive."
`----

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/laszlo/archives/017055.html

Here's another recent one:

Microsoft abandons PMCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/26957/Microsoft-abandons-PMCs

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America