Re: [News] [OSS] Finally, Open Source Salaries (Not Solaris)

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 14 May 2007 18:10 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that [H]omer spake thusly:
>
>> First of all, the site has very few entries (so far anyway), in fact I
>> couldn't find any at all for the UK. Secondly their downloadable data is
>> an OOXML Excel Spreadsheet, and therefore useless to me.
>>
>> http://www.opensourcesalary.com
>
> I contacted the site owner (Wade Willett) and voiced my concerns about
> the use of Microsoft formats (and also a broken web form on the feedback
> page), and as a result he's decided to change the format to CVS.
>
> He seems like a friendly bloke, very open to suggestions. I also
> suggested a "show all" feature which he'll now do, and he's also looking
> at implementing a more structured search methodology (a la Amazon / A9),
> which I pointed out to him would probably be a better system than the
> current drop-down menu method.

Excellent! I'm sure it will bring benefit to his project as well. It seems
like there was some open source spirit there in the first place, but maybe
some comprehension gap. Can you blame people in this age of confusion when
even some wines are given the "open source" label?

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  8:00pm  up 16 days  4:22,  5 users,  load average: 0.48, 1.24, 1.33