Re: [News] [Linux] Creative Will Bring X-Fi Drivers to Linux

__/ [ Jim Richardson ] on Sunday 13 May 2007 04:09 \__

> On Sat, 12 May 2007 17:57:09 +0100,
>  Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Creative still haven't got their *Vista* drivers for X-Fi out of Beta,
>>> and they're already going ahead with Linux drivers!
>>>
>>> My, my. How times change.

>>> With a low-latency kernel, better ... even.
>>>

>> I saw some excellent work on kernel patches done by one of the main
>> embedded linux providers (don't recall which one);  the blocking
>> behaviour of the kernel was hugely improved.
>>
>> The problem of streaming audio through the kernel is much the same as
>> the problem of moving streams across networks - you need a particular
>> kind of system behaviour which is able to fully respect the temporal
>> relationship of the data constantly, not just in bursts.  We need 3-mode
>> kernels...
>>

> What's a 3 mode kernel? user, kernel and other?

Mind this little update:

X-Fi running under linux is now officially dead

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://poorandimbecile.blogspot.com/2007/05/x-fi-running-under-linux-is-now.html

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
  5:20am  up 14 days 13:42,  7 users,  load average: 1.53, 1.66, 1.50