Re: [News] [Linux] New Reviews of Gentoo 2007.0 and RHEL 5

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 11 May 2007 20:49 \__

>> Review: Gentoo 2007.0
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | While Gentoo has kept up graphically with its sexy interface, it's
>> | been left several miles behind in terms of usability as the elite
>> | for Linux enthusiasts. The problem is that it's missing so much
>> | genuinely helpful GUI configuration, even enthusiasts are going
>> | to start considering an easier life.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/linux/review_gentoo_20070
>
> Nah! Source-based distros (and meta-distros like LFS) will always have a
> place, like optimisation, distro development (forks), and education
> (learn by example).
>
> Besides, it's the ultimate in 733t-ness, or so my nephew tells me :)

Apart from the aducational merits, I suppose one could borrow bits and pieces
that Gentoo developers innovate. Think of it in terms of production of car
components (but components as software, not hardware). Apple makes a black
Opel and Microsoft makes a white Mini. Linux, on the other hand, offers many
cans of paint, many engines, many types of tyres. You can thereofre build an
ultimate car and if one component gets very weak, then there's something
better to exchange/replace that with. That's why Linux will always be ahead.
Weak distributions go away and stronger ones choose the best components
(even develop or fork them, to avoid stubborn decisions from being made
arrogantly by others).

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows Vistaster: Newly-coined Windows MEstake
Swap:  1036184k total,   511156k used,   525028k free,    32336k cached