[News] [Linux] Red Hat Emphasises That Linux Should Not Be Like Windows, Look at RHEL 5.1, 5.2

Red Hat Shuns 'Windows Clone' Model for Global Desktop Discussion at
PhysOrgForum

,----[ Quote ]
| While the desktop is not another "Windows clone, it is also not a new
| desktop environment as it is based on RHEL Desktop 5. The key for us
| was getting the feature set these customers wanted, and then getting
| it into the channel for distribution," he said.
|
| [...]
|

| Riveros said that the new desktop will help democratize technology,
| which is why the initial focus is on delivering it to emerging markets.
| "We want to see wide adoption of Linux desktops around the world, but
| providing a Windows clone has no value," he said.
`----

http://www.physorg.com/news98014316.html

Also from Red Hat:

Red Hat 5.1 To Improve Virtualization, Windows Support

,----[ Quote ]
| The RHEL 5.1 and subsequent RHEL 5.2 releases will be "virtualization
| and security" focused, said Daniel Riek, a product manager for Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux, during a presentation at Red Hat Summit on
| Wednesday. They will offer better integration with Windows via a
| new version of Samba, better integration with Active Directory,
| paravirtualized Windows drivers and eventual support for fully
| virtualized Windows guests.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199500604

Related:

Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616