Re: [News] [OSS] OpenDocument Appears to be Already Defeating the Microsoft Lockin

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 29 May 2007 19:58:14 GMT, Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, 7 belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Micoshaft's Scareware Office products are scary for end users.
>>> If you encorporate any of their patented technology into your products
>>> to produce say reports, then you will sued by Micoshaft Corporation
>>> with their patent threats.
>>
>> Not to worry.  The only OOXML implementation out there will be
>> Microsoft's.
>
> That's funny, considering there's already other implementations, either in
> the works or already here.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML#Adoption
>
> * Corel has announced that by mid-2007 its WordPerfect Office suite will
> support Office Open XML as well as OpenDocument.
>
> * Gnumeric has limited SpreadsheetML markup language support.
>
> * Novell has created an Office Open XML plugin for OpenOffice.org, the
> plugin is released as open source software, and will be submitted for
> inclusion into the OpenOffice.org project.
>
> * Apple Inc.'s TextEdit will support Office Open XML in the next version of
> OS X, Leopard.

Thanks Erik, for pointing out that, so far, my statement is correct.

I'm sure you'll be able to follow up in a couple of years to say that
these are all 100% bog-perfect implementations, too.  Even if Microsoft
has /already/ modified their implementation.  Or threatened someone with
violating a patent, making them remove a component.

   http://openstack.blogspot.com/search/label/ODF%20OOXML%20OpenDocument%20California%20Migration%20Massachusetts

Bleh.

Or

   http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1528

   I watched the whole Massachussetts, Ecma, and contradictions
   carnival. I feel that I have become very cynical. Maybe too cynical.
   I think MS will force or bribe their standard through ISO. And every
   governement is hedging against it.

   My impression of the history was that MS became desperate after ODF
   got into ISO, and recruited Ecma and maybe some Ansi officials to get
   MSOOXML through ISO at ANY cost. Remember all the strange twists and
   turns, eg, the sudden repagination of the specifications a few days
   before the deadline and the unexpected fast-track by a USA official
   at the ISO/TC secretary.

   Bob Hilf admitted in his own words that MSOOXML is inseparable from
   MS Office 2007 (see the Open Malaysia blog). My conclusion from this
   is that the specifications cannot be altered without big troubles for
   Office2007. A harmonization of the internal contradictions might
   require a complete rewrite of large parts of the Office suit as the
   XML exactly mirrors the internal memory layout of the program. So the
   response of Ecma seems to come down to: nothing will change.

   I now seem to see pure MS desparation at work with a UK astroturf
   campaign. I read about all kinds of anti-ODF initiatives in, eg,
   recently in Maleisia and Florida.

Good to see you're working for the right cause, huh Erik?

   Moreover, I heard many (all?) National Bodies are flooded with MS
   employees. So at the end, MS employees might be in the majority
   overall. But that seems still not be enough to "win".