Re: [News] [Reviews] The Top 5 Things I Hate About Linux

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 29 May 2007 16:28 \__

> Another piece I'm not enamored with.  They must be coming out of the
> woodwork today.
>
> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7827
>
>     The Top 5 Things I Hate About Linux
>
>     1. Lack of Driver Support for Select Hardware Products.
>
>     2. Half-Done, Poorly Supported Open Source Projects.
>
>     3. The Politics of the GPL License.
>
>     4. Hatred Towards Proprietary Applications.
>
>     5. Animosity Towards the Inclusion of Ubuntu Feisty's Hardware
>     Detection Utility and Linspire's CNR.
>
> None of these have to do with Linux per se.  The first is a
> research issue (in other words, buyer beware).  The second
> has to do with the Gyach project (who? -- well, Gentoo
> has a copy thereof, but IM isn't my thing anymore; I used
> to IRC way back).  The author opines about the third that
> the BSD/MIT licenses would have been more liberating --
> an issue that is best taken up in other fora, and probably
> has been beaten to death therein.  The fourth has to do
> with the community, and the last refers to a specific
> distro's decision (and Ubuntu's not alone; Gentoo also
> offers nvidia drivers and Microsoft TTFs and codecs)
> on including proprietary stuff.

Matt Hartley dislike the GPL and like the BSD licence. Nothing new here. He
says it all the time. Also, he is always focused on Ubuntu. Many say that
Ubuntu is certainly overhyped and it should not be treated as some kind of a
role model. The rest are very easy to rebut, as well. Almost none of his
articles contain link to support the claims. Some are rambles and some are
opinions based on a few hours' experience with a piece of unknown software.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  23.1% user,   4.4% system,   0.6% nice,  71.9% idle