Re: [News] [Review] Open Source and Linux Has No Place in OLPC

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 29 May 2007 16:21 \__

> (I have no idea what to make of this piece.)
>
> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7833
>
>     [...]
>
>     Our interest here is on the operating system, so
>     in a laptop that is supposed to open up mainstream
>     technology to kids for the first time, what kind
>     of OS would you expect to be in use? Windows is the
>     worldwide standard, so you might expect Uncle Billâ??s
>     operating system to make an appearance, but youâ??d
>     be wrong. OS X is gaining in popularity, and Apple has
>     always been a leader in education, but even so, Uncle
>     Steveâ??s operating system isnâ??t on this laptop.
>     Surprisingly, a trimmed down version of Fedora Core
>     Linux has found a home on this laptop.
>
> (Well, unless one wants to play "toggle the program
> in", something's got to go in there.  I'm old enough to
> have built an ELF so know how painful that could be.
> I hardware-hacked in a hex keypad at one point, which
> made it a lot easier. :-P This was back in the early 80's,
> before the IBM PC took over the world.
>
> At that, toggling in was an improvement over plugboards.
> Thankfully, I missed that era.)
>
>     The Top 5 Things I Hate About Linux
>
> (What an odd place to put a link.  I'll be reviewing this separately.)
>
>     Just to clarify, I donâ??t think the decision to have
>     Linux on this computer is a bad idea to begin with,
>     but I do believe the Sugar GUI that the students see
>     and use will be very limiting. The interface basically
>     involves a number of big icons that allow students
>     to do various things, and while there is some nice
>     Internet functionality, it doesnâ??t resemble anything
>     that weâ??re used to with desktop computing. Simple
>     can be good, but this looks more like one of those
>     interfaces from a LeapFrog product that you can buy
>     at Toys "R" Us.
>
> (It appears that the Sugar GUI is his primary complaint.
> This isn't Linux, any more than IE is Windows.  It's not
> even that widely used *within* Linux distros -- I for one
> have never seen it, though I might have seen a pic or two
> of it.  Since I'm not a WiFi nut, I'm not sure it'll be
> all that useful to me personally.)
>
>     Donâ??t get me wrong - I know that stuffing a full
>     version of Windows or OS X on one of these machines
>     is difficult due to the hardware thatâ??s contained
>     within, but with that said, light embedded versions
>     of these products could have been a possibility, and
>     Steve Jobs even offered OLPC free usage of OS X on
>     the laptop! Instead of taking him up on the offer,
>     theyâ??ve opted to go completely with open source
>     software, which is a rather gutsy move if you ask me.
>
> (Windows CE (or perhaps now it's Vista Embedded Edition?)
> is already available -- though I've no idea how good it
> is, and how well it will fit within the machine specs,
> though Orange Phones have been using a variant for years.
> Presumably Symbian might play in this space as well.
> Of course, Linux can be made with a *very* light footprint,
> [...]

He has already been slammed over this in many place, including COLA. It's a
Mac fanboi. I suspect he never even used Linux for more than an hour.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  23.1% user,   4.4% system,   0.6% nice,  71.9% idle